The term “self-care” is all over social media at the moment, but what does it actually mean? Taking care of yourself is so important. Try to think of your overall well-being like a glass of water. If you are feeling too drained, you need to refill the cup, or else you will run out of water and feel burnt out.
As an aspiring medical professional and the creator of the Choose Happiness blog, Ryder Cambron is passionate about self-care and spreading awareness about mental health. Today we are going back to basics and taking a look at the 7 pillars of self-care.
- Emotional – learning how to cope in a healthy way with negative emotions and feeling an overall sense of emotional stability.
- Mental & Intellectual – this is about exploring your curiosity, practicing mindfulness, and learning new things.
- Spiritual – you don’t have to practice a specific religion in order to practice spiritual self-care. This is all about how you find meaning and a bigger purpose in your life.
- Physical – this has to do with taking care of your physical needs through sleep, nutrition, and exercise.
- Social – humans are social creatures, and we need to feel a sense of belonging to be happy.
- Recreational – how do you let off steam and have a good time? It is important to make time in life that is for pure joy.
- Environmental – the space you live in has a huge impact on your mental health.